Oha soup find it origin in eastern part of Nigeria. It is largely consumed by the people of Abia state, but this soup have found it way through other regions of the country.
Oha soup requires the following ingredients: goat meat, cocoyam, palm (red) oil, locust beans, oha leaves, smoked fish head, onion, grounded pepper, fresh yellow peppers, grounded crayfish, salts and other preferred seasonings.
Here is the procedure:
- Peel and cook the cocoyam in a little amount of water till soft, drain and mash.
- Rinse the goat meat and stock fish and cook both with sliced onions, seasoning sliced yellow pepper and salt to taste until it is tender enough
- add washed and de-boned dry fish, palm oil to cook for 8 minutes max
- add mashed cocoyam into cooking mixture and cook for another 10 minutes
- stir properly, add dry pepper, crayfish and locust beans and cook for 8 minutes
- add oha leaves and cook for 3 minutes
- Your soup is ready to be served.
You can eat oha soup with any swallow (solid) meal such as pounded yam, wheat, semovita etc.